Fees for filing consumer complaints in India

Every complaint filed under CPA 1986 shall be accompanied with such amount of fee and payable in such manner as may be prescribed. The complaint should be preferably submitted as Affidavit duly notarised. The Forum will expect 3 copies of complaints with supporting documents. There will be a nominal fee based on the quantum of claim and this fee needs to be paid in the form of Demand Draft or Postal Order.

(1) For complainants who are under the Below Poverty Line holding Antyodaya Anna Yojana Cards – No fees Upto Rs.1,00,000/-
(2) For complainants other than Antyodaya Anna Yojana card holders – Fees Rs.100/- for claims Upto Rs.1,00,000/-
(3) For claims above Rs.1,00,000/- and upto Rs.5,00,000 – Fees Rs.200/-
(4) For claims above Rs.5,00,000/- and upto Rs.10,00,000 – Fees Rs.400/-
(5) For claims above Rs.10,00,000 and upto Rs.20,00,000 – Fees Rs.500/-

For State Commissions: The court fee for cases above Rs 20 lakh and up to Rs 50 lakh is Rs 2,000 while the court fee for cases up to Rs 1 crore is Rs 4,000. The demand draft should be made in favour of the registrar, (name of) state commission and be payable in that state only.

For National Commission: The court fee is Rs 5,000 and the demand draft should be in the name of The Registrar, National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission

Upon filing a complaint in the District Forum, a date(normally within 15 days of filing the complaint) will be fixed for admission hearing. During this hearing, the Complainant is expected to present his case and if the President of the Forum is satisfied then the complaint will be admitted and further hearings will be fixed.

Provided that a complaint shall not be rejected unless an opportunity of being heard has been given to the complainant and if a complaint is rejected, the reasons for the same should be recorded.


  • Complaints with total value of compensation claimed to twenty lakh rupees should be filed with District Consumer Forum
  • Complaints with total value of compensation claimed above twenty lakh rupees up to one crore should be filed with State Commission.
  • Complaints above one crore should be filed with National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission, New Delhi

(the above limits have been increased in the Consumer Protection Bill 2018, which is yet to be implemented)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

error: Content is protected !!